ikeGPS for vegetation assessment combines our Tree Assessment and Missing Line ikeTools to provide powerful vegetation measurements. And to top it off this vegetation assessment capability is now standard equipment on all ikePro and ikeSolutions products!
ikeGPS for vegetation assessment provides the following measurements, displayed on ikeGPS photographs:
- Tree height measurement
- Crown width measurement
- Tree trunk diameter (Diameter at Breast Height)
- Using the Missing Line tool, obtain clearance measurements between any two objects e.g. tree branches and power lines, tree trunk and right-of-way
Click here to see how CN Utility saves time and money using ikeGPS.
Under mounting pressure to drive efficiency while improving vegetation management workflow and documentation to maintain compliance, utilities and other critical infrastructure protection companies can now turn to ikeGPS™ and partner Terra Spectrum Technologies’ VMSuite™ software for help.
ikeGPS™, as a standalone device or bundled with Terra Spectrum Technologies’ VMSuite software for vegetation management workflow, provides a unique, cost-effective method for locating, planning, and documenting vegetation management work. For years, utility foresters and contract inspectors have relied on maps and their own analytical skills to identify hazard trees and other routine vegetation maintenance required on transmission and distribution systems. GPS locators, laser range finders, digital mapping devices and other tools have enhanced these processes, but utilities have struggled to combine these resources into a complete, integrated workflow. In addition, research has challenged sight-based assessment; a recent statistic showed 79 percent of tree related outages are caused by vegetation located beyond expected clearance limits
The ike300, loaded with Tree Assessment, Missing Line tools along with our ikeDesktop custom form, reporting, and measuring software, enables crews to survey lines and document work with a single, hand held, integrated device. ikeGPS™ captures:
- The target GPS position
- The distance to the target via the laser rangefinder
- The bearing and relative altitude of the object via a 3D compass
- A high resolution photo of the target, with cross hairs embedded in the image to verify the exact point of measurement
- An image of the vegetation target that can be measured via on-board photogrammetry software
Tree Assessment Overview Video
All of the data captured can be exported into multiple data file types that integrate into ESRI, Google Earth and all other major mapping and back end systems. When synced with Terra Spectrum Technologies’ PlannerVM™ work planning application, data can be augmented with:
- Street maps
- Circuit identification
- Digital signature of property owner
- Assessment and prescription
- Crew assignment
- LIDAR datasets
Data rich work orders can be generated from PlannerVM™ and tracked with InsightVM™, TST’s secure, web based customer portal. InsightVM generates reports, circuit snapshots, maps, and real-time crew locations. In combination with RealTimeVM™, TST’s time management application, InsightVM can also display cost estimates and hourly crew costs.
Examples of Use
- Tree inventories
- Inspection documentation for defensible data
- Post storm assessment
Together, ikeGPS™ and VMSuite™ are transforming field data capture by building a complete picture of vegetation, property and work within distribution, transmission and critical infrastructure protection (CIP) systems.
- Safely capture remote GPS locations
- Make complex measurements remotely
- Improved GPS accuracy
- Ruggedized all-in-one solution
- Create Custom Forms, Work Flows, and Reports
- Various output formats – GIS, ESRI, Google Earth, and more
For more information or to order ikeGPS for vegetation assessment, please contact us.